UC San Diego's picturesque campus is a great place to explore for walkers of all fitness levels.
Some popular campus routes are listed below. Click a name for a printable PDF map. You can also print out a PDF brochure showing all the routes.
If you have a favorite route that isn't on campus, try Google's free Gmap Pedometer to plot it and calculate the number of steps.
- Campus Loop: 8,000 steps (4 miles), one hill
Discover the beauty of UCSD's natural environment in this extended walk around the perimeter of the main campus.
- Chancellor's Challenge 5K: 6,200 steps (3.1 miles), one hill
From the north campus recreation/ athletic fields to Library Walk, follow the route of the Chancellor's Challenge 5K Run/Walk for Scholars, held each fall.
- East-West Connect: 3,000 steps (1.5 miles), easy
This sidewalk route crosses the I-5 to connect the east and west portions of campus. See the Triton Baseball Stadium, UCSD's Preuss School, and the towering Challenge Course.
- Eucalyptus Trail: 2,000 steps (1 mile), easy to moderate
A trail on uneven terrain winds through a shady fringe of eucalyptus trees; thousands were planted here for use as railway ties by the Santa Fe Railway.
- Pepper Canyon Circuit: 1,500 steps (0.75 miles), easy
Enjoy the vistas into Pepper Canyon from this winding walk around its perimeter.
- Med School Mosey: 1,000 steps (0.5 miles), easy
The UCSD School of Medicine enrolled its first class in 1968. Take a quick jaunt around the manicured quads of the Stein Clinical Research and Leichtag Family Foundation Biomedical Research buildings.
- Ridge Walk: 4,000 steps (2 miles), easy
A straight path through the heart of campus traverses four colleges — Roosevelt, Marshall, Muir and Revelle — past RIMAC and Mandeville Center.
- Sun God Stroll: 1,000 steps (0.5 miles), easy
Campus walkways trace an easy route around Niki de Saint Phalle's Sun God, the inaugural piece of UCSD's Stuart Collection and popular campus landmark.
- East Campus Amble: 1,500 steps (0.75 miles), easy
An easy path circles UCSD Medical Center - La Jolla, one of San Diego's premier medical facilities.