UCSD is committed to providing services to assist faculty or staff members who become unable to perform assigned duties of their position because of a disability.
UCSD explores possible reasonable accommodations for a faculty or staff member with a disability, using the interactive process. This is in compliance with UC Policy (PDF), Collective Bargaining Agreements, the federal Americans with Disabilities Act, and the California Fair Employment and Housing Act.
Read about possible funding resources on Job and Access Accommodation Funding Resources.
An accommodation is reasonable if it does not impose an undue hardship on the department. Reasonable accommodation can include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Changing the job duties
- Changing the work shift
- Modifying work schedules
- Relocating the work area
- Providing assistive equipment or services
The interactive process involves ongoing communication between a faculty or staff member with a disability and their department supervisor in an effort to provide reasonable job accommodation. The process should include:
- The faculty or staff member, the supervisor, and a Disability Management Counselor
- Direct communication between the supervisor and faculty or staff member
- Timely communication and implementation of accommodation
- Documentation of all communications and decisions regarding job accommodation
For detailed information on your role in determining job accommodation, visit: