New Employee Orientation: Working at UCSD
October 16, 2013 3:52:54 PM PDT
UCSD's culture is a unique blend of the physical environment, an international reputation, and a leadership model that serves to attract, motivate, and retain a high-caliber workforce.
After learning more about the university and the programs and services available to its staff, take the time to review some of the basic information about working at UCSD.
Policies governing staff describe staff personnel policies and collective bargaining agreements:
- Overtime provides compensatory time off or pay for eligible employees' overtime.
- Pay periods are displayed in yearly calendars showing pay dates and holidays.
- Salary Plan status outlines range adjustments, merit increases, and award eligibility by employee group.
- Title and pay information allows you to search by title to view pay information.
- Total compensation calculator is an online application that calculates the total value of your salary, benefits, etc.
- Collective bargaining units agreements
- Clerical and Allied Services (CUE)
- Service (AFSCME)
- Patient Care Technical (AFSCME)
- Registered Nurses (CNA)
- Non-Senate Instructional (AFT)
- Librarians (AFT)
- Technical Unit (UPTE-CWA)
- Research Support Professionals (UPTE-CWA)
- Residual Health Care Professionals (UPTE-CWA)
- Police Officers (FUPOA)
- Academic Student Employees (AGSE/UAW)
- Skilled Crafts (SETC-United)
- San Diego Housestaff (San Diego Housestaff Assoc.)
- Personnel Policies for Staff Members (PPSM)
- Professional and Support Staff (PSS)
- Managers and Senior Professional (MSP)
- Senior Management Group (SMG)
Ethical conduct, framed by core values, policies and laws, guides employees' decisions and actions.
Leaves and vacation
- Family and medical leave enables eligible employees to take leave for family and medical reasons.
- Holidays recognized by UC include 13 paid holidays per year.
- Military leave includes active or inactive duty training, extended military leave, and emergency National Guard leave.
- Sick leave provides paid time off for illness, disability, medical appointments, and bereavement.
- Vacation is earned starting from the date of eligibility.
Probationary period is a six-month period to evaluate work performance and suitability for employment.
Promotion and transfer page outlines opportunities for staff to advance or change jobs.
Standard work schedule is 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. with a 30-minute lunch.
Contact Employee Relations, Policy Development and Work/ Life, (858) 534-9659.