All Staff Picnic
June 7, 2013 2:47:44 PM PDT
The UCSD Staff Association is hosting its annual picnic on Friday, Aug. 16, 2013.
The UC San Diego Staff Picnic is a traditional fun-filled get-together celebrating the contributions of UC San Diego staff with food, entertainment, a spirited volleyball competition, staff association tables and much more. Prepare to join the fun or be a part of the entertainment.
2013 UC San Diego Staff Picnic Information
Date: Friday, August 16, 2013
Where: Town Square at the UC San Diego campus (map)
Cost: Free but you must register when tickets become available
Frequently Asked Questions for 2013
- Q: How do I get a ticket?
- A: For the 2013 Staff Picnic we are exploring low carbon footprint options. In the past we used an online ticketing system called Eventbrite. Staff were permitted to register for one ticket per person and print his or her own ticket.
- Q: During the registration process I was asked to identify my Vice Chancellor. How do I know which VC to select?
- A: Here is a link to Organization Chart for your convenience to review prior to your online registration: http://chancellor.ucsd.edu/cabinet.
- Q: Why do I need a ticket if all staff are invited?
- A: All staff are invited to come to the picnic, however lunch quantities are limited which is why we need to use a ticketing system.
- Q: Can I order a ticket for a friend who doesn’t work at UCSD?
- A: Guests are welcome to enjoy the celebration, but are not eligible for a complimentary meal. They are encouraged to visit the eateries at Price Center or bring their own lunch. A complimentary meal is provided only for UCSD staff holding a picnic ticket.
- Q: Why am I only able to order my own ticket and not tickets for my co-workers?
- A: The new system that is being used to order tickets only permits one ticket per staff person. We are trying to reduce the number of tickets that are ordered, reserved and never picked up.
- Q: I work off-campus. Is there an alternative to picking up tickets?
- A: GOOD NEWS. Last year, you will be able to print your own tickets at your desk with Eventbrite at the time you are submitting a ticket order. You DO NOT need to go to the Price Center to pick-up your ticket. For the 2012 UC San Diego Staff Picnic it will all be done online and you will print the ticket yourself.
- Q: I didn't get a chance to order or pick-up a ticket, but I still want to go and receive a complimentary meal. What do I do?
- A: There are no guarantees, but you can certainly go to the INFO BOOTH (which opens at 11:30 a.m.) and check the STANDBY line to see if any tickets are available.
- Q: What can I do if tickets are SOLD OUT?
- A: If you were not able to register for a picnic ticket you might be able to receive an UNCLAIMED ticket at the picnic by going to the INFO BOOTH and waiting in the STANDBY staff line. Either way, you are still invited to come and enjoy the other festivities at the picnic.
- Q: I ordered a ticket, but I cannot attend the picnic. What should I do?
- A: Email your name and number of tickets you will not be using to Monica at MonicaRC@ucsd.edu and she will pass your message to the WILL CALL volunteers. Your ticket(s) will be distributed to STANDBY staff that a UCSD staff ID.
Features from 2012 All Staff Picnic
The 2012 picnic featured:
- Gourmet roast beef, turkey, and vegetarian sandwiches, fruit & chips thanks to a sponsorship from Housing*Dining*Hospitality
- Kettle corn
- Ice Cream
- And more!
- The Rad Hatter
- Musical entertainment
- Door prizes for staff with tickets
- Staff Association tables
- 2012 Annual Vice Chancellor Volleyball Tournament
Buy a commemorative T-shirt
Support the Staff Association with your purchase of a commemorative All Staff Picnic T-shirt for $10. Renew your Staff Association membership and buy a T-shirt for only $15. Proceeds from T-shirt sales fund scholarships. Contact Teresa Hull, (858) 534-5366, to order your shirt, and include this information and she will respond with instructions.
- Your full name
- Phone number
- Shirt size
- Mail code
In preparation for the 2012 picnic we are seeking musical and dance acts to delight our guests at this event. If you're interested in being part of the entertainment group email MonicaRC@ucsd.edu and your message will be forwarded to the appropriate staff person.
In 2012, extra Campus Loop shuttles and a second Hillcrest shuttle will be offered from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. The SIO shuttle will run on its regular schedule but will be larger to accommodate more riders. Transportation Services has graciously agreed to not cite vehicles parked in the Gilman and Hopkins parking structures from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Normal citations will resume at 2:00 p.m. and other parking areas are not exempt from citations between 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Sustainability and going green
UCSD is committed to reducing its carbon footprint and reducing waste. The picnic planning committee and Housing, Dining, & Hospitality are working to minimize trash by using "green" and reusable items. Picnickers are encouraged to bring their own mug or cup that can be refilled at the Town Square. Place recyclables and trash in the correct corresponding containers. You may further contribute to reducing your carbon footprint if you own an iPhone or Android phone by downloading the Eventbrite ticket app instead of printing your ticket. Information will be provided in your email registration confirmation about this option.
The 2012 picnic is made possible by the generous donations from the following sponsors:
- Chancellor Pradeep Khosla (Chancellor’s Office)
- Executive Vice Chancellor Suresh Subramani (Academic Affairs)
- Vice Chancellor Sandra Brown (Research)
- Vice Chancellor David Brenner (Health Sciences)
- Vice Chancellor Steven Relyea (External & Business Affairs)
- Vice Chancellor Gary Matthews (Resource Management & Planning)
- Vice Chancellor Penny Rue (Student Affairs)
Identify your VC using this webpage: http://chancellor.ucsd.edu/cabinet.
- Allied Waste Services
- USE Credit Union
- Broadway San Diego
- Facilities Management
- Box Office
To join the UCSD Staff Association, fill out a membership form (PDF).
Note: This page has a friendly link that's easy to remember: http://blink.ucsd.edu/go/picnic