Last Updated: January 14, 2015 11:15:37 AM PST
The UCSD Staff Association is again sponsoring the Career Experiences for High School Students (CEHS) program this summer. We hope to engage diverse, talented high school students from around San Diego County to participate in career training and exploration.
Summer Program Dates: June 23 - August 15, 2014 (eight weeks)
The CEHS program aims to engage diverse, talented high school students from around San Diego County to participate in career training and exploration through internships provided by UCSD departments. It is designed to encourage students from diverse backgrounds and interests to become the next generation of the highly trained 21st century workforce.
Giving students internhship experience prior to pursuing post secondary education will broaden their horizons beyond Internet research alone. Students will be able to explore the field of linguistics or landscape architecture or machine fabrication or hospitality services, while gaining valuable and perhaps life-changing experience.
This program goes beyond standard research opportunities in that it reaches students who do not plan to pursue the sciences as a career path. UCSD has such a breadth of career options for students as a course of study and showcasing these opportunities is a benefit to both the campus and the community. The program will integrate students into existing multidimensional campus work environments and thereby into a rewarding career exploration, while still in high school.
We are asking campus staff to propose exciting internship opportunities for high school students to work with your department in the summer of 2013. Internship opportunities and student prerequisites will be posted on the Staff Association website. Students can apply for up to two specific internships.
This is a volunteer internship program and students will not be paid. Departments may choose the number of hours a student will work per week, from 15 to 25 hours.
The student application includes questions related to coursework completed or in progress that specifically relates to the internship; honors and awards; letters of recommendation; and an essay. The essay will address specific topics related to the area of work and the benefits the student would gain from the internship.
High school students in their junior or senior year can apply. They must:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Possess a valid work permit if under the age of 18
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or its possessions
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Be enrolled in an accredited area high school
The CEHS program aims to create career experiences that encourage interactions between students and their department mentors. The ultimate goal is to strengthen workforce development. Students will be encouraged to have substantial and frequent interactions with their department mentor and other staff members, including UCSD student employees. Through these interactions, students will become an integral part of a campus department while exploring a potential career path.
Keep your proposal to less than 1,000 words and address as many of these items as possible:
- Internship title
- One-paragraph description of the overall internship, and a paragraph for each of the major activities, highlighting the career experience for the student
- Number of students you are seeking
- Name of lead person overseeing the student internship experience
- Names, organizations, and roles of others who will provide mentoring for the student
- A description of the plan to integrate students into the department’s activities and how the student(s) will interact with undergraduate and graduate students already working in the department
- List of student prerequisites for your internship (e.g., advanced classes in history, a foreign language, or computing, excellent writing skills, pastry skills, knowledge of horticulture etc.)
- Number of hours the student(s) will be asked to work per week
- Inclusion of relevant department urls
An essential component of this program is the involvement of women, underrepresented minorities, and people with disabilities in fields where these groups have traditionally been underrepresented. Efforts to include representatives from these groups are strongly encouraged.
The staff member who will be responsible for proposed internship experience should submit the proposal. The internship must take place at UCSD, although work in collaborating community locations will be allowed if more than one student is participating in the internship experience.
Please email your completed internship opportunity description to Ange Mason
by February 21, 2014.
Department staff submitting internship opportunities will receive their student applications on April 4, 2014 and will need to make their student selections no later than April 18, 2014.
Students will be hired as volunteers. Departments will be responsible for filling out the paperwork.
- February 21, 2014: Internship descriptions from departments (1,000 words or less) due
- March 3, 2014: Internship opportunities posted on the Staff Association website
- March 28, 2014: Student applications are due
- April 4, 2014: Applications delivered to departments
- April 18, 2014: Final selection by departments is due