How to Reclassify a Student Employee
Last Updated: March 17, 2016 12:13:45 PM PDT
Follow these step-by-step instructions to reclassify a casual/ restricted student employee.
Review the current job description to determine if changes are warranted. If so, continue to step 2.
Do not use the standard UCSD job description form. That is for staff positions only, not student positions.
- Complete the Job Description form online.
- Print a copy of the form for your records (form can't be saved online).
- Click Submit Form to transmit your request.
Email a separate short request letter to your Employment Liaison at SEO. Include:
- Student employee's name
- Requested job title
- Requested pay rate
- Have the following people sign your copy of the Job Description form:
- Department head
- Student employee's supervisor
- Student employee
- Retain the signed document in your department files.
- SEO makes the classification decision and notifies you by e-mail.
- If the reclass is approved, it is effective the beginning of the next biweekly pay period following SEO's receipt of the request.
If SEO denies a classification request, speak with your department's HR contact or your SEO representative to explore alternatives.
For more information, contact your departmental personnel office or your representative at SEO within the Career Center:
- Academic Affairs/ Student Life/ GPS/ Rady: Connie Ruan (858) 534-0148
- Business Affairs/ Student Affairs/ CREATE/ VCRMP: Marco Rizo (858) 534-0153
- School of Medicine/ SIO/ UCSD Healthcare/ VCHS: Mary Lewis (858) 534-0150
The information on this page summarizes provisions of university policies and/or collective bargaining agreements. Refer to the Personnel Policies for Staff Members
(PPSM) and local implementing procedures
or applicable collective bargaining agreement
for full text of referenced information.