How to Classify or Reclassify a Staff Position
Last Updated: June 3, 2014 4:06:37 PM PDT
Use this guide to classify or reclassify a campus-funded staff position.
Job descriptions are required for positions lasting more than 5 months or to support a recruitment action, regardless of duration.
- Complete the Job Description Form and use "Instructions" and "Tips for creating a well-writen job description".
- Select the "Route" option at the end of the Job Description form to route your draft for internal review and editing in accordance with your department procedures.
- Select the "Route" option to route the final job description to your departmental Human Resources (HR) contact for processing.
- Print a formatted copy of the Job Description from the Job Description Main Menu.
- Get the signatures of the supervisor and department head.
- If you are reclassifing a position, also get the employee's signature.
- Retain the signed documents in department files.
- Obtain a current copy of the organization chart.
- Update the chart as necessary and provide a copy to your department HR contact.
You'll be notified after a decision has been made. To check the progress of your job description review, you can contact your departmental HR contact.
- Depending on the classification level and Vice Chancellor area, the classification decision will be made by the central HR Department, your department head, or your Vice Chancellor.
- Position descriptions classified by a department or Vice Chancellor should be submitted to the central HR Department after the classification authority has completed the classification section.
- Select the "Submit to HR" option at the end of the job description form to route the description electronically.
- Before submitting the job description, attach the organizational chart to the job description.
- Note: The central HR Department will add the revised job description to the Online Job Description Library.
- If the position is reclassified, use the Rate Setting Guidelines for UCSD Staff to determine the appropriate salary.
- Make a salary recommendation to the HR contact in your department.
- After the salary is approved, notify the employee.
- Ensure that the new salary and title are entered into Payroll Personnel System (PPS).
If a requested classification is denied, talk with the HR contact in your department, or directly with a compensation analyst in the central HR Department, to explore other alternatives.
For more information, contact the Compensation Unit at (858) 534-0986.
Note: this page has a friendly link that's easy to remember: http://blink.ucsd.edu/go/reclass
The information on this page summarizes provisions of university policies and/or collective bargaining agreements. Refer to the Personnel Policies for Staff Members
(PPSM) or applicable collective bargaining agreement
for full text of referenced information.