For details on any of the following plans, see UCnet.
University-paid life insurance (provided at no cost to the employee)
- Basic life provides life insurance for employees in full benefits positions equal to 1 year's base salary, up to $50,000.
- Core life provides employees in mid-level benefits or core benefits positions with $5,000 of life insurance.
Supplemental life insurance
- Within a Period of Initial Eligibility (PIE) is available to employees:
- Enroll/ increase supplemental life insurance:
- Newly eligible employees can enroll online.
- Employees with a qualified family status change (PDF) complete the UPAY850 form (PDF) and submitt it to Payroll within 31 days of the qualifying event.
- Coverage can be a flat dollar amount of $20,000 up to 4 times the annual salary ($1,000,000 maximum).
- Cost of coverage is based on the employee's age, salary, and the amount of coverage. Use the Life Insurance Premium Calculator to calculate cost.
Dependent life insurance
- UC offers 2 plans for insuring eligible family members, basic dependent life and expanded dependent life.
- Enroll during initial eligibility or during a qualified family status change (PDF).
Enrollment and management
To enroll or increase coverage outside a PIE:
- Complete the Prudential Short Form Health Statement Questionnaire (PDF).
- Complete employee portion and mail to the address provided. Prudential will review the application and notify you of the status. If approved, notify the Benefits Office at 858-534-2816. A benefits representative will send you an enrollment form. The completed enrollment form must be submitted within 31-days of approval.
- You can submit Evidence of Insurability at any time.
To designate or change beneficiaries:
- Go to At Your Service Online and log on: At Your Service website
- Click on Sign in to My Accounts.
- Enter your Username and Password.
- Select My Beneficiaries.